Where Has All My Blogging Gone

The post's title comes from an adaptation of a hymn we used to sing in one of my ESF primary schools - albeit, a hymn for lost soldiers, Where Have All the Flowers Gone. I am using this reference as a sign of mourning, as a sign that there are challenges we meet in life that we do not always face victoriously. But that should not be a problem so long as we are graced with life, which graces us to continue to learn from experience, to grow in our professions, to become better people, and to learn to enjoy life better, because life is short. And we are to be mindful of this through the lives of others that, for reasons that are mysterious to us, may be lost before their time seems done.
As for my blogging, I reached a moment of hubris over a week ago, when I thought I could maintain my blogging pace indefinitely. It cannot always be done - so the results will be strained.
And I wouldn't have been aware of this, had a friend not joked with me: Can you make sponge cake? Well, yes I can, I began, if it is this certain kind and not that kind... And my friend broke me off: Just say you can't, and you'll spare yourself all that energy to explain yourself!
I totally agree. Especially because it seems I can't hold open all fronts. What are my goals? To learn from life, to have fun. Where Have All the Flowers Gone - it's the typical type of hymn we used to sing, some even in Eskimo, but this one from a Cossack song about the pointlessness of war. The pointlessness of war - how many little battles does one undertake unnecessarily?
The hymn is also takes a place in the Ubi Sunt tradition: on the meditation of morality and life's transience, from the Latin phrase, Ubi sunt qui ante nos fuerunt? Indeed, where now?
For me, right now, my writing is going into my doctorate, which may not ever see the light of day, because of some unexpected competition. But I need to finish it for my own sake, and working on it is sapping at my blogging. I never imagined I would reach this point! But it is better to recognise a Rubicon before crossing it.
Limitations can bring liberation in so many ways. They can mean not having to worry about things beyond one's control. They can mean having the freedom to dedicating oneself wholly to one task: a famous military speech begins: Your lives have already been lost, you are outnumbered by the enemy, you have nothing to lose.
If you have felt an absence of direct content in my blogging, it is because I am focused on another area of writing. But I do not want to close this door on my blog: I must restructure how I go about my posts. This post explains my last few posts, as for the next few: stay tuned!

 Tape, image.

No comments:

Post a Comment