The snapshot

When I was small, my mother would lead my brother and I around our very inhabited city, to districts like Wanchai to show us the greyed buildings, saying, "Take a good look, because one day, they won't be here anymore." One of the weirdest but best memories I have is of her taking me to the Walled City before it was demolished and before I returned to boarding school one term. We had all heard so much about it - a book had been written, a nun had lived there, and there I was, getting lost with my mother, with my suitcases meanwhile checked into an expensive airliner, trying not to brush against the exposed electric wires. It was so hard not to stare through the doors, cracked open to get light from some of those crooked passageways.
Another thing my mother would do was to tell us to close one eye, and make a circle with one hand round our other eye - this is how we could test to see if a composition was good enough for picture taking. Actually, she would use this same eye-cup method to show us how "most people viewed the world," then she would tell us to lift our hands from our eyes and open both eyes wide, and tell us, "this is how you should see the world."
After all of that in my upbringing, it is surprising that I sometimes forget to open my eyes. A really close friend reminded me to open my eyes by asking me very simply: Do you want to be happy or sad? There are people and situations that will want to try to make us sad, then there are people who unknowingly will judge us if we say we are sad or overcome, but what I've been thinking of is how there is never a good reason for why that junk should make it into 'the snapshot' (that set of events, feelings, that we record in our minds and souls - that we respond to, like standing before a work of art).
It's possible to choose to some degree what makes it into the composition - or at least to choose the angle of the shot, if it isn't possible to change the subject. I don't know why, if I know that, that there are times it seems I don't! But, as I chuckle forgivingly, I wanted to ask you: what made it to 'the snapshot' of your week? What happy topics graced your composition?

Elements: lace brush: project gimp bc; little paper: minitoko;
vintage starbursts and shipping tag: pugly pixel.

No comments:

Post a Comment