Mock dialogue

So, in semi-antique fashion, a friend and I met last night in cavernously-lit ambiance over a bottle of wine, and began with a rather ambitious discussion that I do not want to forget, so shall attempt to transcribe it here.
I have invented mock Greek names for us, for your entertainment pleasure. Let us pretend that the prologue to this dialogue was lost, so we can get straight to the good part.
Eclaris - But is it not true that even when we give, there should be some balance? That the giving should be comfortable?
Masivinus - If it is comfortable, then it is not giving: then it is just getting rid of what is extra, and so it's not giving at all.
Eclaris - That is a wonderful point, and I am glad you brought it up, and hope the wine will not erase your words from my mind, but I have learned in life that in all things, there must be balance.
Masivinus - It is easy for you Western people to rationalise it all like that. This balance that you speak of is so rational, and you forget that for each person, the line of balance differs, it is such an individual thing. And is it not true that all our lives, we exercise in our ability to give, it's like walking outside in the cold, every day, we get better at acclimatising, and can walk a little bit further?
Eclaris - I agree, but still think it critical that before we exercise ourselves in that way, there must come a moment when we become aware of the fact that we are giving, and learn to recognise when we are mean to be humble in our recognition that we aren't always able to give as we would like, because if giving becomes our opiate, we will have to deaden ourselves to not feel the pain as we cut off our arms and legs, as we give them away. There needs to be a balance.
Masivinus - What you say is true, but is it not true that if we shift the focus from the topic of giving to general awareness, to general vision of life, then we will know when we are supposed to give and when we are not to? If we just look carefully at the situation, and who we are with, the answer will be as clear as day.
Eclaris - But to say that ignores the process involved: spiritual growth does not take place so smoothly. Also, there is something to be said of understanding these things intellectually, and understanding them emotionally. Sometimes I am criticised for making the same points that I was making ten years ago, and people say to me, but that is nothing new, you were talking about it ten years ago. That, in my understanding, illustrates that I understood intellectually ten years ago, and am only now understanding emotionally.
Masivinus - Yes, for this reason, we can say that life does not become easier as we get older, but it becomes clearer.
Eclaris - Well said. But to return to this notion of giving, is it not true that if there is not a moment of awareness that we are giving - an ostensibly benevolent act - we can actually end up hurting ourselves, as well as those who are close to us? If we deaden ourselves so as not to feel the pain of each sacrifice of giving, then aren't we being violent to ourselves? And if we are violent to ourselves, how can we extend the love that is needed by those who are closest to us?
Masivinus - This is true. And when I embark on such great themes as this, I often think that in this life, I need wings of faith, that I am only able to get through life on faith.
Eclaris - That one has to be able to fly, to make it to the final destination.
Masivinus - No, I don't even think I know how to fly, this is why I need faith, because I don't even know how to have wings. I face life absolutely alone, only I am responsible for my path in life, and this is why I need to know how to fly.
Eclaris - This first part you say to me, in great humility, but isn't it true that if a person has been called on to change, through changing circumstances, and if a person sees they are alone, one has to believe that one can fly, is able to fly? And as for people, don't our wings sometimes come from them?
Thus the discussion continued, but only for a short while longer before we discussed more mundane themes, like employment and where people gather in the evenings to relax after hard work days.
Fin.

Elements: frame and medallions: pugly pixel;
icon of modern design bird: curbly.