Sparkzilla vs. Pollyanna

It has been a trying week; I have been exposed to so many people who are like those little, wind-up, fire-spitting dinosaurs (like this, called a "Sparkzilla"), where the sparks coming out of their mouths are their angry, frustrated words.
This gave thought to a comparison between how one's immune system can be weakened by exposure to the flu and how one's mind can be weakened by listening to too much unhappy jabber.
When I tried, like the Pollyanna that I am wont to be, to cheer these souls up, my efforts were returned to me as fire sparks, aimed in my direction. I had no idea that an innocent statement like, "life is ultimately good" could make certain people very angry. Opposite to Pollyanna, I find that we are not always particularly happy when we are faced with new lessons that do not suit us, even if such lessons lead to greater good. It seems easier to believe that one is right, instead of being open to the fact that we are prone to err. It seems that people who have fought the truth for years, or are surrounded by unhappy people, will become angry if they are asked to consider life as being ultimately good.
And if people begin to get all reactionary about such basic things, it is easy to see why discourse could (again) become enshrouded in secrets. It is better not to bring certain things up in mixed company - but given the human need to communicate, these themes can take on a symbolism which, apparent only to the initiated, could be communicated safely in all contexts. Or quality knowledge and wisdom can be dispersed but to a select few - not necessarily orally, but in certain contexts like on serious blogs that deter the life-illiterate.
When it comes to communication, I am an idealist at heart - i.e. I believe in good will and love among humankind, but I am learning in practice that while we have the potential for this, there is profound wisdom in the proverb silence is golden. And while we relegate such sayings to old-fashioned kiddie books, I think it's high time for me, at least, to put it in practice, and leave the Sparkzillas alone. Incidentally, I forget to ask myself before speaking: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Elements: honeycomb paper: pugly pixel;
frame: minitoko.

No comments:

Post a Comment