Egos and Slogans

I am not close friends with anyone who uses bumper stickers, or bears messages on their chests by way of T-shirt. This is so obvious when I write it down, but I must say right now, that I have gone through my own extremist phases, albeit of a different nature.
So, I don't imagine myself to be on a soap box right now.
Also, I am sad when frivolous issues like public-message bearing gets in the way of innocent friendship (which seems particularly to affect those with postgrad degrees). And frivolous is not an adjective to offend, but purely descriptive. For, the argument in favour of slogan-bearing, to boil it down, is: I like slogans, so I wear them/stick them on my inanimate car. The second argument: Other people post slogans that I don't like, so I like it when I see ones I do like. Ahem. Does the latter not sound like the kind of mentality that leads to war? An eye for an eye!
So, the jury says, one is indeed permitted to like slogans. But what about people who do not? Is the gesture of knowing this and persisting in this habit not a sign of disrespect? The strength of "silence is golden" is that one does not step on anyone's toes, and yet gets the pleasure of enjoying and cultivating one's own thoughts as one pleases. "I wear slogan T-shirts because I like them" is an example of an egotistical statement, implying that one's ego is more important than that of others. And that has nothing to do with the belief itself, that one is still free to have.
Rousseau wrote about how one's freedom acknowledges that one belongs to a society - and that freedom, as such, has limitations. This is also a Christian idea, not to mention the other philosophical pitfalls of freedom, like the burden of too much choice, enslavement to a false identity, etc.
And the drunken dance between the ego and freedom that marks so much of the movie (not necessarily the reality, as the final verdict is ours) of our age involves riddles that were solved centuries ago. We are never free until we have mastered our own selves (Epictetus): to see one's own weaknesses - and ego - ought to make one more wary in one's manners.

No comments:

Post a Comment